Siegel, Colin & Kaufman, P.C. handles only family law cases. Our team of experienced attorneys focuses on these types of cases so that you can be assured you are receiving targeted and qualified representation for your case. We have successfully modified hundreds of divorce orders and are prepared to help you make the changes you need to your order.

Can I Make A Change To My Divorce Order?

No matter how carefully crafted your divorce settlement or order is, you may eventually need a divorce modification to reflect changing circumstances. Child custody, child support and alimony can be modified through settlement - including collaborative law or arbitration - or through a court proceeding.

When Might I Need A Modification Of A Divorce Order?

Because your divorce order cannot predict the future, there are many post-divorce issues that require changes. Some examples include:

  • Change in income - If you receive child support and your income drastically decreases - or the paying parent's income drastically increases - you can seek an increase in the amount you receive. If you pay child support and your income decreases or the receiving parent's income increases, you can seek to reduce the amount of child support.
  • Change in schedules - As your children age, their needs change and your parental responsibility plan may need to change accordingly.
  • Change in employment - If you pay alimony and lose your job, this is grounds to ask for a reduction.
  • Extraordinary expenses - If your child becomes ill or needs expensive educational or medical assistance, this can be a reason to seek an increase in child support. If you become ill or disabled, this can be a reason to seek an increase in alimony (if you receive it) or a decrease (if you pay alimony).

If you have a marital agreement - a prenuptial or postnuptial agreement - your alimony may be set based on that agreement. If your marital agreement or your divorce order states alimony is not modifiable, then it cannot be modified. When you seek a modification of your divorce order, you need an attorney who has experience in modification. All of our attorneys handle these types of cases successfully, and since we handle only family law, our focus is clear.

How Long Do I Have To Modify My Divorce Order?

There is no statute of limitations on modification of divorce orders, as long as the provision you are seeking to modify is still in force. If your children are still minors, you can modify the parenting responsibility plan. If you are still receiving alimony or child support, you can seek to modify that portion of the order. Our law firm helps you consider the options for modification and leads you through the settlement and court process quickly and smoothly.

What Happens If I Remarry?

Child custody and the parenting responsibility plan remain in effect unless and until one of the parents tries to modify it. Marriage does not itself affect child support, but the change in your household income, expenses and dependents may be a reason to seek a modification.

Alimony, on the other hand, is typically terminated if the receiving spouse remarries. Remarriage of the paying spouse has no impact on payment of alimony. Siegel, Colin & Kaufman, P.C. is prepared to help you with any modifications that are necessary to your divorce order.

What Are My Rights If The Divorce Order Says Alimony Cannot Be Modified?

In Connecticut, a divorce order can indicate that alimony cannot be modified. If this is not specified, the order can be modified if there is a substantial change in circumstances. If alimony was waived or not mentioned in the order, there is no opportunity to request it in the future. We are highly attuned to the importance and impact of alimony and alimony modifications. Our highly experienced attorneys ensure that your rights are protected and the best financial scenario possible is put into place.

Can Modifications Be Made If One Spouse Relocates?

Relocation is considered a substantial change in circumstances for the parenting responsibility plan, and you likely need to change the plan to reflect the new living arrangements. The attorneys at our firm have handled many relocation cases and are prepared to pursue all the modifications you need to reflect the changes that have happened post-divorce.

Contact Us To Make An Appointment With Our Skilled Attorneys

The seasoned attorneys at Siegel, Colin & Kaufman understand the intricacies of modifying divorce orders. Call us at 203-326-5145 or use our online contact form to set up a convenient time to discuss your case. Our firm is highly selective about the cases it takes on, and we would have a thorough discussion of the issues prior to our engagement because we are uniquely qualified to offer you targeted legal advice.


Call a lawyer today at 203-326-5145 or reach out to us with the button below.